Chapter Three: first flight
- "How in the world, for the sake of my joy, do I learn to use eucharisteo to overcome my one ugly and self-destructive habit of ingratitude with the saving habit of gratitude?...'When one is thirsty one quenches one's thirst by drinking, not by reading books which treat this condition.'" (p.44)
- "I have learned to be content with whatever i have. i know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. i have learned the secret of living in every situation. whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little." (Philliamians 4:11-12)
- "If you want to change the world, pick up your pen." (p.48 - Martin Luther)
- "To name a this is to manifest the meaning and value God gave it... To name a thing, in other words, is to bless God for it and in it." (p. 53)
- "If you think of this world as a place intended simply for our happiness, you find it quite intolerable: think of it as a place of training and correction, and it's not so bad." - (p. 55 - C.S.Lewis)
- "Prayer, to be prayer, to have any power to change anything must first speak thanks." (p.60)
- "The only way to be a woman of prayer is to be a woman of thanks." (p.61)
This chapter, although read about a week ago, brought much inspiration. The biggest insight I received was to write things down or at least to voice my gratefulness. Let it be known. If I do not voice the things I am thankful for, how can I truly be thankful for them? Letting God see my thanksgiving brings me closer to him. Through prayer I voice my blessings and give thanks to him. This is something I have been working on this week. (It was also in this chapter that the dare of listing 1000 gifts came to be.)
Chapter Four: a sanctuary of time
I want to be honest. Although there were some great insights in this chapter, I did not write down any quotes that stuck out it me. Sorry. =)
Basically what I picked up is if you are thankful, then you will have more time. I don't really understand what she was going for here or where she is headed. Maybe it has to do with how her life is so busy, her house is so dirty, her kids are so rambunctious and life is too short, but if you choose to be grateful, you will focus more on those things and therefore life will seem fuller and more meaningful? More time to focus on the important things more than doing the dishes... but why was she so fascinated doing the dishes? I don't really know. Hmm..
Whatever she meant, I still find it an excellent idea to list things that I am thankful for.
Click here to see my growing list of gratitude.
Click here to read my thoughts on previous chapters.
Click here to link-up your own thoughts.